When entering into the world of streaming content, consumers have many different options available to them. Hulu is an excellent option, which just recently added a commercial free version of their service for an additional fee. Netflix has always been one of the leaders and is widely recognized as such. Amazon Instant Video is also a great choice and Prime members are able to take advantage of an array of different benefits and incentives. Now, we’ve got another option, Sling TV.
Although Sling Television isn’t necessarily new, it has upgraded, since its inception. Therefore, it is essential to take a new look at the service and the current lineup of Sling TV channels. All of this information will be explored below for your convenience and consideration.
An Introduction To Sling TV
First and foremost, it is essential to get a basic understanding of Sling Television. This company is owned by Sling TV LLC, which is actually a subsidiary of Dish Network. The streaming service was originally introduced to the public in early January of 2015, as an alternative for cord cutters. The service has been designed to attract consumers, within the age demographic of 18-35, but it is definitely suitable for older individuals. With a Kids Extra package, the service is also great for children under this range.
At the CES 2015, the Sling TV was praised, as the “Best Home Theater Product”. Below, you will learn more about the packages, features and performance of the service thus far.
Sling TV Chromecast And Streaming Devices
Before agreeing to purchase and add a Sling Television subscription to your monthly expenses, it is a good idea to make sure that you’ll be able to utilize this service. Thankfully, this streaming service has become more versatile in the past few months and now available on the Chromecast. Below, you will discover a list of some of the devices that this streaming service will work with.
- Roku LT and higher
- Nexus Player
- All Amazon Fire TV Players
- iOS 7 and higher
- Android 4.0.3 and higher
- Xbox One
- Mac Computers with Snow Leopard 10.6 +
- Windows 7 +
Overall, most consumers will find that they already have one or more of these devices. If not, some of the Streaming Sticks are fairly affordable and Sling TV offers a few incentives, such as a free Roku Streaming Stick for signing up, as well as discounts on other television boxes.
SlingTV Channels And Packages
One of the biggest advantages of the Sling Television is the fact that it allows consumers to watch live television, which isn’t available with the majority of its competitors. Below, you will discover a breakdown of the current Sling TV channels, as well as the packages and current prices for each.
- Best of Live TV Package – $20 a month – Includes ESPN, TNT, AMC, Adult Swim, TBS, Food Network, Disney Channel, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Polaris+, ABC Family, Bloomberg, Lifetime, IFC, CNN, A&E, History and more
- HBO Add On – HBO can be added on for $15 extra dollars a month
- Sports Extra – For $5 extra a month, you can add ESPNNews, Universal Sports, beINSports and the SEC Network
- Deportes Extra – Extra $5 a month, including Univision, UniMas, Univision Deportes and beIn Sports en Spanish
- Kids Extra – Extra $5 a month for a variety of child’s channels, including Disney Junior, Boomerang, BabyTV, Disney XD
- Hollywood Extra – $5 a month extra for Epix, Epix2, Epix3, SundanceTV, TCM and Epix Drive-In
- Peliculas and Novelas Extra – $5 a month extra for Univison, UniMas, Cine Lationo, and several others
- World News Extra – For extra $5 a month, you can receive HLN, RT, France24, Euronews, News 18 India and NDTV
- Lifestyle Extra – $5 a month for Cooking Channel, DIY Network, FYI, WE TV, LMN, and TRU TV
- ESPANA Extra – $7 a month
- Columbia Extra – $7 a month
Overall, Sling TV has a pretty decent array of options. Even the $20 a month option is great and includes an array of channels that will satisfy all! The price is definitely affordable, as well, which makes things even more attractive.
Originally, Sling TV has a few performance issues around the time it was first released. However, they have improved their system significantly. In April of this year, when the company announced their plan to team up with HBO, they made upgrades to their applications, which helped to reduce the stress on their servers. The new update also allows consumers to adjust the Parental Controls for all of their channels. The dreadful March Madness debacle shouldn’t be an issue in the future.
As a side company of Dish Network, it is almost certain that Sling TV LLC will do its best to continue adapting to their consumer base, while also improve their content selection. Also, the company now offers some VOD, video on demand, content for some of their channels, which is definitely a plus!
A Few Downsides
There are a few minor downfalls to this particular service. They’ll be listed below for your consideration.
- Unfortunately, it is only possible to stream content to one device, at a time. However, HBO content can be streamed to 3 devices simultaneously.
- No ability to record programming, although it is possible to pause and rewind some content.
- No local content, which may be a concern for some.
- Unable to make monthly payments with Paypal, debit or credit card is a must
Pros Of SlingTV
Overall, I have found that the SlingTV has more pros and cons. I will list these below for your convenience.
- Many packages to choose from, with excellent channels and affordable prices.
- Now includes HBO and HBO Now for an additional fee.
- Can be used with a variety of different devices, although a few are still incompatible
- Live television is compelling and unable with many competitors
- Company seems to be headed in the right direction, with new upgrades and new channel additions
- Family friendly channels, adult channels and everything in between
- Very easy to cancel online
Overall SlingTV Review
Since it was first released, Sling Television has definitely come a long way. Their performance issues have been corrected and they now offer a larger number of channels than ever before. The future is looking bright for Sling TV and the overall package is definitely worth the price. Some will be satisfied with the basic package for $20 a month, but 5 additional dollars isn’t going to make or break the deal.
For that, Sling TV is definitely worth it and you will find that the majority of SlingTV reviews agree. The company is on the right track and there has never been a better time to hop aboard the Sling train! If you’re interested in signing up, be sure to follow the link above, in order to do so!
After spending a significant amount of time with SlingTv, there is one thing that is painful obvious, the company doesn’t care about their customers, their performance or their success. The customer service is ungodly and nearly nonexistent. Don’t bother sending them a message, because you will get no response. Cancel your account today or switch to something like KlowdTV, which is marginally better.